Posts Tagged Fred T.Korematsu Day
Korematsu, who passed away in 2010, would have been 94 on Jan. 30. And the state of Hawaii is set to celebrate his birthday in style as the 3rd state to honor Korematsu with an official day.
Karen Korematsu called it her life mission to have every state proclaim an FTK day commemorating freedom, diversity and civil liberties until it’s recognized nationally.
I saw Karen on Sunday at the San Francisco celebration for her father. It was special because it brought together a diverse group of Asian American heroes.
It was like an Asian American Hall of Fame for Civil Rights. Three years after the intial FTK Day, the Korematsu Institute wisely chose to spread the love.
Read my post on the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund blog.
- Obama’s Executive Action on Immigration? My sources say it’s about time; Updates with reaction from different Asian American groups; AALDEF statement,American Immigration Lawyers Association, and New York Immigration group’s practical view on how the action applies to real people. President still cracks down, but prioritizes hardline on “felons not families.”
- Update: SF’s David Chiu beats David Campos in Assembly District 17; Midterm mugging: For first time in 8 years, GOP in charge. Nancy Pelosi still minority leader, but Mike Honda still in Congress.
- Midterm Elections are Democracy’s Game 7. You better #vote. I already did. Once is enough. Don’t forget. It’s the only real power you have. Don’t waste it. #Vote.
- World Series Updates: Madison Bumgarner is Game 7 Superman, carries San Francisco Giants to 3rd World Series championship in 5 years; Pre-game 7: Who wants to win this odd “Bi-Polar” World Series? UPDATE: Game 6 washout just a prelude to Game 7, as Royals humiliate SF Giants; UPDATE-World Series Game 5: Giants win, 5-0 as Royals are “Bumgarnered” again; quick someone name a candy bar or something after him; Pre-World Series Game 5: Remember just 10 days ago? Madison Bumgarner today on all the rest he needs; 10/25/14: World Series Game 4 comeback–SF out small balls Kansas City Royals.
- UPDATED: World Series an anti-climax? SF Giants must top that Game 5 NLCS finish; Ishikawa home run legendary for so many reasons; And will we ever see Tim Lincecum again? UPDATED 10.21. WS-GAME ONE, MADBUM MAKES ROYALS LOOK PLEBEIAN; UPDATED 10.22. WS-GAME TWO–What a difference a Madbum makes; and a Lincecum sighting. UPDATED-10/23/GAME THREE BUZZ–KC PITCHER AND ISHIKAWA HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON; UPDATED-10-24-GAME THREE IS A LOSS, BUT HERE’S HOW THE GIANTS CAN STILL WIN IT ALL IN 7.
- UPDATE: Performance was great–contact me for future shows; Why I prefer “American Filipino” to Filipino American, even during October, our history month
- Asian American Journalists Association conference #aaja2014 — CSPAN panel, some observations.
- UPDATES FOR STEPHEN GUILLERMO CASE: The power of a diploma as a symbol of justice, 6/20/14; Today we get a little sense of justice at Stephen’s posthumous graduation ceremony, 6/19/14; Graduation info on Stephen at SFSU, and a cool disco pic of me! 6/13/14; After election day, a silent vigil for Stephen, a month after his shooting; Petitions for justice to be delivered to DA, 6/4; One month after his shooting death, it’s Election Day in California, 6/3/14; Stephen Guillermo is now an SFPD crime stat that decries the PR of low homicide numbers in the city; Updated 5/3/ 11:52 a.m., with confirmation of suspect arrest. UPDATED 5/7/14 SUSPECT RELEASED…UPDATED 5/8, 5/9,5/10, 5/12, 5/13,5/14,5/15 funeral day, 5-17 with info on 5-19 eulogy, 5/20 SF State to give degree, 5/21 DA meets with family,5/23 San Francisco Chronicle Op-Ed piece runs as SFSU graduation weekend begins; 6/3 Election day in CA, are you voting for a DA in your county? #justiceforstephen
- New #SCOTUS ruling on affirmative action passes the buck and says let voters decide
- SF Giants’ Lincecum still has homer-itis, but keeps team in game till it decides it wants to win in 12th; After nearly five hours, Giants beat Dodgers 3-2 on Jackie Robinson Day
Read Emil's commentaries on Asian American issues on the
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund blog:
- OK, at least North Korea didn’t hack the last episode of #serial. Now that would have shaken the nation’s intelligentsia… 16 hours ago
- And the viewers aren’t all named Thomas, nor are related to Clarence Thomas, who you know watches. ow.ly/G7EoJ 18 hours ago
- RT @repbobbyscott: Voted No on the #CRomnibus. I support fully funding our gov but this had too many egregious policy riders. Read more: go.usa.gov/F594 21 hours ago
- Confirmation that N.Korea behind Sony hack on “Interview” reveals real danger of Kim cult. You can’t respond with “lighten up, it’s a joke.” 2 days ago
- 21st Century Chill: Sony’s cancellation of “Interview” means cyber-terror now includes censorship. 2 days ago
- No such thing as a smart cigarette. E-cigs are like toy guns that really kill. Yet teens vaping like crazy. ow.ly/FZRG8 3 days ago
- Silence doesn’t work, so Bill Cosby uses “stand by your man” defense. Wife cites UVA rape story to blame media. ow.ly/FYKCV 3 days ago
- As I like to say, when the going gets tough, the tough go ethnic. Bill Cosby discovers the power of ethnic media. ow.ly/FUT92 4 days ago
- Great to see Asian Am.Mariota, a humble, unpolished, all around good guy, thank his parents and cry on national TV. ow.ly/FQQo8 5 days ago
- This is the week when “rectal rehydration” made headlines. Do you know where your hummus is? ow.ly/FPVCd 6 days ago
- Atty.John Yoo, who wrote the legal justification for torture,slams Senate Torture Report; defends his torture stand. ow.ly/FOCJC 7 days ago
- Sony H’wood Obama emails racist. But harmless compared to conservatives’ racist anti-Obama rants heard since 2008. ow.ly/FNZ7c 7 days ago
- Fewer lapsed Catholics too, if they could bring their dogs to mass.BTW,Happy Birthday,Pope Francis! ow.ly/FNbX7 7 days ago
- RT @theslantedview: from @emilamok: Asian-American activists attack anti-discrimination suits nbcnews.to/1wSdTmu via @NBCNews 1 week ago
- RT @aaldef: .@AARP report: More #AsianAmerican elderly are on food stamps and live below poverty line, nbcnews.to/1GhB2jV @emilamok 1 week ago
- RT @policybydesign: “If you’re a #personofcolor, a #college degree – from anywhere – is like your hall pass in life.” @emilamok diverseeducation.com/article/68288/ 1 week ago
- One if by land,two if by limo. Empire State Building says the British are coming,Sunday night. ow.ly/i/7RLRB 2 weeks ago
- RT @sree: 34yrs ago, John Lennon was gunned down at the age of 40. Links I compiled in 2010 for #john30: bit.ly/john30 http://t.co/QkUKCIBuc8 2 weeks ago
- RT @Miguelnbc: Steady rain and wind hitting Manila after deadly storm wreaks havoc across Philippines. We’re live on @TODAYshow http://t.co/EY9Fg8ziPD 2 weeks ago
- RT @NBCNightlyNews: At least 100,000 forced to flee as Typhoon #Hagupit closes in on Philippines nbcnews.to/15SCqMQ http://t.co/WoM2NqivyI 2 weeks ago
- Are you a non-card carrying racist? Test-taking Asian Americans and others may be surprised at their automatic biases ow.ly/Ft7Vi 2 weeks ago
- Asian Americans aren’t immune to the Eric Garner treatment @aaldef @AsAmNews ow.ly/FseKo 2 weeks ago
- For ratings, maybe they should’ve cast Lena Dunham as Tinkerbell. ow.ly/FriRf 2 weeks ago
- How Asian Americans could easily be another Eric Garner @aaldef @emilamok ow.ly/Fqkp2 2 weeks ago
- Apparently, not only is Lady Justice blind but she can hold her breath till she turns NYPD blue. ow.ly/Fmafp 2 weeks ago
- Talk of Castle Doctrine repeal in Montana. CD is similar to California law that allows shooters to claim self-defense ow.ly/FjZqm 2 weeks ago
- It’s still Giving Tuesday. Please don’t forget Grace Lee Boggs. The selfless activist needs your help. ow.ly/Fgyez 2 weeks ago
- The president’s executive action on immigration? It may have begun in SF with Ju Hong’s call to conscience. ow.ly/FfViE 2 weeks ago
- RT @SteveAHorn: .@emilamok: Grace Lee Boggs Rallies in Hospice, But Fights Healthcare Costs nbcnews.com/news/asian-ame… @nathanairplane @wagingnv @misssbelinda 2 weeks ago
- RT @cheryltan88: My chat with @nbc‘s lovely @emilamok on why #Singaporean pineapple tarts should be on #Thanksgiving and all… fb.me/3hDp7IPRU 2 weeks ago
- Grace Lee Boggs, selfless 99-year-old human rights advocate, needs your help.ow.ly/FeNp1 2 weeks ago
- Was Ju Hong’s outburst in SF the catalyst that helped bring about executive action on immigration? ow.ly/FeM2e 2 weeks ago
- Bill Cosby has resigned as Temple Univ.trustee, according to multiple reports. ow.ly/FbSm2 2 weeks ago
- Others in Higher Ed Should Take High Road on Cosby – Higher Education diverseeducation.com/article/68159/ via @twitterapi 3 weeks ago
- Chris Rock on @TODAYshow:”I love being famous.It’s almost like being white.” Racism still trumps fame,$ ow.ly/i/7Mlu8 3 weeks ago
- With such a great resume Wilson should have no trouble getting new job. Here’s one: Private security for Bill Cosby? ow.ly/F5rDv 3 weeks ago
- Bad Good food alert: Northern California CRONUT sighting.WW points: 200. But no long NYC line, prices, or rationing. ow.ly/i/7Ll06 3 weeks ago
- RT @aaldef: Thanksgiving is over, but it’s never too late for pineapple tarts, nbcnews.to/1xWSDqZ @cheryltan88 @emilamok 3 weeks ago
- #A‘s trade Donaldson, after the Cespedes deal? For GM Beane, no more feet to shoot. Rebuild? Tear down? Just turns fans into free agents. 3 weeks ago
- One last espresso and the meal is done. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! ow.ly/i/7KehE 3 weeks ago
Emil’s Greatest Hits
TagsAAJA AALDEF affirmative action Asian American Asian Americans Barack Obama baseball boxing David Chiu diversity Ed Lee emil guillermo Filipino American Filipino Americans GOP horse racing http://amok.com immigration immigration reform Jeff Adachi journalism Leland Yee Linceblog Manny Pacquiao Mayor Ed Lee Mitt Romney MLB Newt Gingrich Noynoy Aquino Obama Oscars PETA Philippines President Obama race racism Rick Santorum San Francisco San Francisco Giants San Francisco politics SCOTUS SF Giants sfgiants Tim Lincecum Vincent Chin
Copyright 2007-2014, forever. Emil Guillermo. All rights reserved. tysjp4u.
Why you should consider consulting on just about anything with Emil Guillermo
Still having a bad day. This video guaranteed to make you guffaw