Posts Tagged Fred T.Korematsu Day
Korematsu, who passed away in 2010, would have been 94 on Jan. 30. And the state of Hawaii is set to celebrate his birthday in style as the 3rd state to honor Korematsu with an official day.
Karen Korematsu called it her life mission to have every state proclaim an FTK day commemorating freedom, diversity and civil liberties until it’s recognized nationally.
I saw Karen on Sunday at the San Francisco celebration for her father. It was special because it brought together a diverse group of Asian American heroes.
It was like an Asian American Hall of Fame for Civil Rights. Three years after the intial FTK Day, the Korematsu Institute wisely chose to spread the love.
Read my post on the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund blog.
- World Series an anti-climax? SF Giants must top that Game 5 NLCS finish; Ishikawa home run legendary for so many reasons; And will we ever see Tim Lincecum again?
- UPDATE: Performance was great–contact me for future shows; Why I prefer “American Filipino” to Filipino American, even during October, our history month
- Asian American Journalists Association conference #aaja2014 — CSPAN panel, some observations.
- UPDATES FOR STEPHEN GUILLERMO CASE: The power of a diploma as a symbol of justice, 6/20/14; Today we get a little sense of justice at Stephen’s posthumous graduation ceremony, 6/19/14; Graduation info on Stephen at SFSU, and a cool disco pic of me! 6/13/14; After election day, a silent vigil for Stephen, a month after his shooting; Petitions for justice to be delivered to DA, 6/4; One month after his shooting death, it’s Election Day in California, 6/3/14; Stephen Guillermo is now an SFPD crime stat that decries the PR of low homicide numbers in the city; Updated 5/3/ 11:52 a.m., with confirmation of suspect arrest. UPDATED 5/7/14 SUSPECT RELEASED…UPDATED 5/8, 5/9,5/10, 5/12, 5/13,5/14,5/15 funeral day, 5-17 with info on 5-19 eulogy, 5/20 SF State to give degree, 5/21 DA meets with family,5/23 San Francisco Chronicle Op-Ed piece runs as SFSU graduation weekend begins; 6/3 Election day in CA, are you voting for a DA in your county? #justiceforstephen
- New #SCOTUS ruling on affirmative action passes the buck and says let voters decide
- SF Giants’ Lincecum still has homer-itis, but keeps team in game till it decides it wants to win in 12th; After nearly five hours, Giants beat Dodgers 3-2 on Jackie Robinson Day
- Lunar eclipse produces “bloody” moon; but I left my bloody Hubbell in the car
- Pacquiao-Bradley 2 (#PacBradley): Here’s how I see it, as it happens…
- Pacquiao Bradley II: That’s not your prep school classmate, that’s the boxing match HBO can’t seem to hype enough
- “Asian American Hustle”? With California State Senator Leland Yee’s arrest, Asian American political empowerment in the Bay Area takes a huge hit
Read Emil's commentaries on Asian American issues on the
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund blog:
- RT @SFGiants: Tonight’s #SFGiants lineup for Game 1 Blanco CF Panik 2B Posey C Sandoval 3B Pence RF Belt 1B Morse DH Ishikawa LF Crawford SS Bumgarner LHP 25 mins ago
- My late mother reeked of #OscarDelaRenta. His eau de toilette. It was her scent. On Mother’s Day she’d asked, “Where’s my Oscar?” R.I.P 5 hours ago
- Another Am.Filipino Month event in Filipino California’s East Coast:Stockton! W/Johnny Itliong&doc.maker Marissa Aroy ow.ly/i/7hWI9 22 hours ago
- He returned Oct.20,1944; Gen. Douglas MacArthur landed on Leyte, a turning point in WWII v. Japan in the Philippines. ow.ly/i/7hWgB 23 hours ago
- RT @earthskyscience: See this over the weekend? First-ever image of 5th order rainbow! bit.ly/ZIxua5 http://t.co/CyPTWdRYUG 1 day ago
- RT @govph: LIVE STREAM: Pres. Aquino leads commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Leyte Landing: gov.ph/2014/10/20/vid… http://t.co/NVOQDrqckZ 1 day ago
- RT @mashable: Hurricane Ana to miss Hawaii, but it’s still “dangerously close” on.mash.to/1DnJdK4 http://t.co/FPi73wGEBc 3 days ago
- RT @HBOboxing: WATCH – A slow motion replay of @gggboxing‘s 2nd round KO vs. Rubio – itsh.bo/1t1MJrw 3 days ago
- Meanwhile SCOTUS had the day’s big KO: “GINSBURG: TX Voter Law Is An Intentionally Racist Poll Tax businessinsider.com/ruth-bader-gin… via @bi_politics“ 3 days ago
- RT @HBOboxing: WATCH – A slow motion replay of Walters’ knockout win over Donaire – itsh.bo/1FjLMhW #DonaireWalters #TweetReplay 3 days ago
- DONAIRE DONE OR DOWN IN CLASS? Tells HBO,”We’re looking at it.” On Walters’ KO: “He knocked the shit out of me.” ow.ly/i/7gQ0k 3 days ago
- Donaire on Walters on his HBO bout: “He beat the shit out of me.” If you saw it, or if you didn’t, that’s all you need to know. 3 days ago
- Didn’t have a good feeling about Donaire fight.Filipino Flash hasn’t looked flashy in recent past. Walters KO’d. TV sports next for Donaire? 3 days ago
- RT @nichibei: Emil Guillermo (@emilamok): On the Trans-Pacific surveillance of Filipino writer Carlos Bulosan: ow.ly/CKx1g @aaldef HT @hkkang 3 days ago
- A Jackie Robinson-like moment as Asian Americans the stars of the NLCS. ow.ly/CYlNZ @aaldef @SFGiants @MLB 3 days ago
- RT @davidkli: A sobering thought: Travis Ishikawa’s grandparents were victims of Executive Order 9066. aaldef.org/blog/emil-guil… @emilamok #SFGiants 3 days ago
- Baseball’s diversity moment: When the NLCS stars are Asian Americans named Ishikawa & Wong. ow.ly/CY3iL @SFGiants @MLB @aaldef 3 days ago
- NLCS game 5: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game in a major sport that meant so much, that ended so dramatically. ow.ly/CWT9L 4 days ago
- And the baseball heroes were native born Asian Americans–Travis Ishikawa and Kolten Wong ow.ly/CWKkV @SFGiants #diversity 4 days ago
- R.I.P. Sumi Haru, a former fellow Asian Week columnist and former SAG president. We lost one of our great advocates. ow.ly/CWIVO 4 days ago
- HR hero Travis Ishikawa rounds second, the #sfgiants rush field, and the scoreboard beats everyone to the punch. ow.ly/i/7fOHe 4 days ago
- Travis Ishikawa’s walk-off HR puts #sfgiants in WS, makes him modern day Bobby Thompson; The Giants win the pennant! ow.ly/i/7fN9F 4 days ago
- Travis Ishikawa w/walkoff HR to lead @SFGiants to NL pennant is the Asian American of NLCS–not Kolten Wong. ow.ly/i/7fGK1 5 days ago
- The @SFGiants win the pennant! Walkoff homer from Ishikawa ow.ly/i/7fEgc 5 days ago
- Panik greeted by #sfgiants after 2-run HR in 3rd. StL answered w/2 solo HRs, lead 3-2 in 6th. ow.ly/i/7fCwV 5 days ago
- #SFgiants can win NL pennant 2nite. But can lefty Madbum stop lefty Kolten Wong?Great to see an Asian American shine. ow.ly/i/7frt4 5 days ago
- B.O’Reilly & John Stewart on Asian Americans? Nothing more boring than 2 white guys talking Model Minority. Why not have an Asian Am.guest? 5 days ago
- Must see: “Kill the Messenger,” film on the late Gary Webb’s work & his betrayal by SJ MERC eds & journos.Listen: ow.ly/CSAmz 5 days ago
- #sfgiants win 6-4 as only they can with “Post-Torture, Neo-Small-ball.” Good enuf to be great. Game 5 w/Madbum to win #NLCS in SF Thursday! 6 days ago
- Singles are nice for a change, versus run-producing outs, but doesn’t anyone on #sfgiants have a big fly in them anymore? Lead 6-4 after 6. 6 days ago
- Cards can’t execute. #Sfgiants tie on their specialty, a non-hit/FC/muffed ball; then go ahead on muffed DP. What’s smaller than small ball? 6 days ago
- Kolten Wong officially 2nd coming of Robby Alomar. Guy from HI hits another HR? StL.4-1 now over @SFGiants.Vogey in too long. 6 days ago
- Kolten Wong continues to smash the ball, and scores on P’ski single. Cards hitting Vogey, lead 2-1 in 2nd. Will we seePetite? @timlincecum? 6 days ago
- Batting avgs, #NLCS teams: @SFGiants .233; StL, .216. It’s dueling banjos. Posey htting .154 needs to get going.. ow.ly/i/7eG7U 6 days ago
- RT @columbiajourn: If you’re embarking on a life in journalism, ask yourself what can I do that will really matter? #CJSACL bit.ly/cjslive 6 days ago
- Gregor Blanco bunt causes wild throw that let’s Crawford score winning run. #sfgiants small ball wins 5-4 in 10. ow.ly/i/7dWVw 7 days ago
- Blanco makes up for .111 avg with great D and clutch error-inducing bunt for gwh. @SFGiants win 5-4 in 10! Lead 2-1 in #nlcs 7 days ago
- Bochy late to give Hudson hook&pays price. Tied at 4 in 7th. All that O in 1st seems so long ago. ow.ly/i/7dUcs #sfgiants 7 days ago
- Not since Met Benny Agbayani has a Honolulu guy tormented the #sfgiants like Kolten Wong. His 2-run triple cuts lead to 4-2. 7 days ago
- Pence double in first started @SFGiants as Posey scored. After Belt IBB, Ishikawa delivered. ow.ly/i/7dRbA #nlcs. SF 4-0 T3. 7 days ago
Emil’s Greatest Hits
TagsAAJA AALDEF affirmative action Asian American Asian Americans Barack Obama baseball boxing David Chiu diversity Ed Lee emil guillermo Filipino Filipino American Filipino Americans GOP horse racing http://amok.com immigration immigration reform Jeff Adachi journalism Leland Yee Linceblog Manny Pacquiao Mayor Ed Lee Mitt Romney MLB Newt Gingrich Noynoy Aquino Obama Oscars PETA Philippines President Obama race racism Rick Santorum San Francisco Giants San Francisco politics SCOTUS sfgiants SF Giants Tim Lincecum Vincent Chin
Copyright 2007-2013, forever. Emil Guillermo. All rights reserved. tysjp4u.
Why you should consider consulting on just about anything with Emil Guillermo
Still having a bad day. This video guaranteed to make you guffaw